Friday, June 26, 2009

The King's Rose by Alisa M. Libby

My friend's sleeping over tonight, but I decided that I absolutely had to do this review today because it was gnawing at my conscience all day today. Oh, what I do for this blog. o__O

Anyways, let me begin by informing you that there WILL be spoilers! BEWARE!

Summary:
Catherine Howard is your average 15 year old .. living in Tudor England. Her family is one of the highest ranking families in England at the time and will do anything to assume their spot on the throne. Over a course of a year, she marries King Henry VIII, tries to get pregnant with an heir, has an affair with her cousin, Thomas Culpeper, gets accused of treason, and eventually gets her head chopped off after being stripped of her royal status.

Review:
The novel was sort of a creepy read .. I had to go grab Infamous in order to get the chills out of my spine. I found it sort of scary because she starts seeing the ghost of her cousin and second wife of King Henry, Anne Boleyn. Everyone betrays her in the end to "protect their own necks" and she's left with only a crazy lunatic, Jane Boleyn, the former sister-in-law of Anne.

And I sort of had a question at the end of the book. HOW ON EARTH DOES SHE NARRATE AFTER HER DEATH? Like it says something along the lines of: "After some time of pain, I feel myself fall ... I am finally home." What does this say about her? She was Catholic! And I guess someone can't be kept from going to Heaven, but she lied and committed adultery, for Pete's sake! Like ... I don't know how to explain it, so I guess I'll just stop here. I'm just confusing myself.

Rating: 3/5

♥eums

No comments:

Post a Comment